Water/ocean simulation

I’m trying to add ocean/water simulation - is there a way to do this? I am trying to build a prototype where you can play as a submarine, so I need ocean depths. What is the cutting edge advice on this topic?

Hi @tyrspawn - You can enable a basic water simulation using the “Enable Water Mask” option on Cesium World Terrain actor. You can also customize the water simulation using your own blueprints.

Cesium World Terrain currently does not have a bathymetric surface to allow underwater simulations. We do plan to make underwater terrain available, but this may happen towards the end of 2021.

2 Likes

+1 for bathymetric data set to allow underwater sims. Considering moving from a custom Unity implementation to UE for our game; this would be immensely useful for us.

1 Like

Yes please, adding ocean depth/Bathymetry data would make it sooo much better.

Following this thread as well for a bathymetric data options. Cheers

1 Like

When will we be able to use Unreal Water in Cesium? This is extremely important for training simulations because we need sea states and the basic Cesium water cannot do that. Thanks :slight_smile:

Hi - We’re are researching the datasets available for global bathymetric terrain and generating prototype terrain databases that can be made available to the community.

If you have suggestions for bathymetric datasets that we can look into, please do suggest them. We’d be more than happy to give it a shot.

We intend to release this in Q1 2022, but don’t have a firm date yet. We’ll update you as we get more information.

Shehzan

Hi Shehzan,

My project would greatly benefit from support for visualizing bathymetry. Just wanted to see if there was any additional info that you could share about the release timeframe.

–Bob

+1 This would open up a great number of potential use cases.

Bathymetric dataset for Europe : Data products - EMODnet Bathymetry

Hi! I try to add simulation to sea water of cesium world terrain but when I apply a material so as to customize its blueprint the the sea level rises and covers parts of the terrain that are not sea. So I would like to ask you if there is any way to implement the water simulation in cesium without sea level height problems.

@ChrisPanago can you tell us in more detail what is going wrong? Perhaps with some screenshots? The existing Cesium water material should already be masked so it only applies in the parts of the terrain that are marked as water, so if you copy and modify that you should hopefully be in good shape. But I may not be understanding what you’re trying to do.

Hi! Thanks for your reply. I could not find the default material that I had to edit, and for this reason I made my own material that had problems with the height of water surface. Although, after my post I think that I found the default material. Please let me know if I am right. Is it CesiumSimpleWaterSurface;

The default water material is called MI_CesiumThreeOverlaysAndClippingAndWater.

MI_CesiumThreeOverlaysAndClippingAndWater is an instance. At least in my plugin folder. So i can not create parameters such as those parameters of CesiumSimpleWaterSurface.
I send you a screenshot of these parameters.
CesiumSimpleWaterSurface
The parent of MI_CesiumThreeOverlaysAndClippingAndWater is M_CesiumBaseMaterial but I have to make from scratch the parameters.
The true is that if I change the value of the parameters in CesiumSimpleWaterSurface material function, I can see the changes, so I am ok with this.

Did anyone manage to implement this?

I am looking to create a model of the under sea environment which we want to use for Marine protection. I am a complete newbie - if there is anyone out there that can help or give some basic advice that would be great. Thanks