What Cesium for Unreal tutorials do you want to see?

Hello everyone,

We’re in the process of building out a robust learning center for Cesium for Unreal users of every background. If you haven’t already, you can access the existing tutorials here. You can get a sneak peek at the planned upcoming tutorials on this Github issue.

We want to make sure we’re covering the most important use cases and that the documentation is easy to understand. That’s where we need your feedback.

Let us know what tutorials you want to see in the future by replying to this thread. Are there gaps in our existing documentation? Specific platforms that you want to know how to build for? Project ideas or use cases that we should highlight?

Also, did you know that you can submit tutorials of your own? If you know how to do something cool with Cesium for Unreal that you want to share with the world, let us know!

2 Likes

You’re already covering quite a lot with the tutorials. I’d be most interested in “Guide - Introduction to 3D Tiles and Geospatial Concepts for Unreal Engine” by Kevin Ring, and please let it really be a deep dive with lots of information about how it all works together, about the mesh creation in runtime, about the problems with multithreading and all the tasks that have to be on the main game thread, about LODs and ways to have more control over the LOD selection, and how the 3DTiles are using materials and how we can play around with them.

The exclusion zones tutorial is quite important, too, but for that we need the update for the plugin that can do real exclusion zones independently of the LOD displayed, this is now the most important feature for us.

Thanks for all the effort you put into the plugin!

Best
Andreas

8 Likes

Video tutorial of procedural foliage with Cesium please.

2 Likes

How to Package a project?

5 Likes

How to use materials of 3Dtiles’ Rendering? Material ,WaterMaterial and OpacityMaskMaterial?
How to extend the default materials?
How to make the Terrain that has not MapTiles to be translucent?
How to set different CesiumTileMapServiceRasterOverlays’ zorder of render?

3 Likes

I would love to see a tutorial on tree detection. So that there are trees all over the world. Also something to style osm buildings.

2 Likes

I would love to know how to use cesium for unreal to make a virtual visit inside a building, the way it’s shown in the video from here:

at 00:41

Hey @agallegos , We’d like to see some guidelines for “standard” AEC to Unreal workflow: E.g: Multiple georeferenced IFC files, PointClouds (Roads, Bridges, Tunnels, Overpass, etc…) with Cesium “terrain”. I’m trying to follow the Cesium documentation, but somehow my imported IFC-s (via Datasmith/Dataprep) never match up with the Cesium terrain…

1 Like

How to set up LOD for custom scanned geo.

How to combine Cesium and Internet of Things inside Unreal.

How to mix Cesium and Twinmotion inside Unreal.

How to optimize your drone scan for cesium. I created a obj of a drone scan which looked much better with the texture in openGL in my 3d application but once uploaded to my cesium ion account the resolution drastically drops and I don’t know how to control it.

A tutorial video of this Procedurally Spawning Foliage – Cesium documentation as it is a bit for advanced users.

1 Like

A tutorial that answers frequently-asked question: how to integrate with self-hosted tile server (especially, localhost).

5 Likes

A tutorial that clearly states what sort of local hosted terrain/imagery data can be imported into Cesium/UNREAL. If it’s only tiles, a tutorial on how you can create, localhost, and upload your own tileset that is Cesium compliant. If there is an open source world to build off of, how to get access to that and make changes. Many people and companies want to keep their world part of their private assets on local servers.

5 Likes

Interested in using my own tiles as well, is there anything already?
Only saw Hosting 3D Content – Cesium

3 Likes

Another vote for using own tiles.

2 Likes

Adding Datasets – Cesium actually does a good job at explaining your own tilesets, thanks

Specifically: The section Add 3D Tileset from local directory describes how to use tilesets from a local directory. When it is hosted on a server, everything should work by just using the respective URL, even it it is a server running locally, i.e. something at localhost.

If a particular aspect of using own/local data is not covered in the learning center, then it might be good to describe which questions one would like to be answered there, so that a dedicated section in the learning center could focus on these questions.

3 Likes

Having fun with the NASA mars data set, really cool stuff. Automating project setup from templates and a list of data sets is on my tutorial wish list now… More on the Unreal site of things i guess.
And water like somebody said above.

This is great if you want to place buildings around the globe, but it seems to me like most people are asking about placing quantized terrain tilesets, which I believe aren’t supported according to the article you linked to? Many people want to make their own worlds locally. What format is the Cesium Terrain and Bing Imagery that Cesium Unreal uses? Perhaps people could use that same format if it was an option? There are a lot of request for being able to local host terrain and imagery, and I think people are willing to do that in whatever file format is needed.

1 Like
  • How do I load offline terrain
3 Likes