Where to put the code for reading data from another source?

Hello!

I'm new to JavaScript and want to build a web application, which displays 3D shapes on a map using Cesium.

If I understand correctly, Cesium is a Node.js application. In my Node.js directory, I have the file `Apps/HelloWorld.html`, which renders the map:

<html lang="en">
<head>
  [...]
</head>
<body>
  <div id="cesiumContainer"></div>
  <script>
    var viewer = new Cesium.Viewer('cesiumContainer',
      {
        timeline: false,
        animation: false,
        sceneMode: Cesium.SceneMode.COLUMBUS_VIEW
      });
    var center = Cesium.Cartesian3.fromDegrees(132.159633, 43.350116);
    var heading = Cesium.Math.toRadians(0);
    var pitch = Cesium.Math.toRadians(-40.0);
    var range = 1000.0;
    viewer.camera.lookAt(center, new Cesium.HeadingPitchRange(heading, pitch, range));

var blueBox = viewer.entities.add({
    name : 'Blue box',
    position: Cesium.Cartesian3.fromDegrees(132.159633, 43.350116, 1000.0),
    box : {
        dimensions : new Cesium.Cartesian3(4000.0, 3000.0, 5000.0),
        material : Cesium.Color.BLUE
    }
});
  </script>
</body>
</html>

This code simply puts a blue box on the map. I want to display not one box, but several others.

Let's assume that I have a Java server (based on Apache CXF), which knows, which shapes I want to display on that map. I want to re-use that code (don't want to re-implement everything in JavaScript). The Java server understands JSON.

Is it OK (good practice), if I put the code for calling Java server into `Apps/HelloWorld.html` and do something like this in that file:

var shapeRecs = javaServer.getData();
for (var shapeRec in shapeRecs) {
  putOnMap(shapeRec);
}

In other words: Is the code for interacting with the Java server supposed to be put into `Apps/HelloWorld.html` or somewhere else (a separate Node.js app maybe?) ?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the stupid question.

Best regards

Dmitri Pisarenko

I recommend taking a look at the Datasource Sandcastle demos for some examples of how and where you can structure your code for loading in data from a server.

Let me know if those don’t answer your questions.

Thanks, Mike!

Dmitri