Crash on fast camera pan

Just a quick question.

In my project, every pawn has a free look camera. During a demonstration, because of course these things happen during a demonstration, when moving the free look camera particularly fast, the program crashed. I suspect because the computer was overwhelmed with loading in a new batch of tiles while also trying to render. Not necessarily a problem with cesium or even unreal. It was a computer cobbled together at the last minute and was barely in min spec.

I’m just asking if anyone else has seen this behavior.

Personally I’m chalking this up to “don’t do that”.

Hi @BDelacroix,

Even if the lesson is “don’t do that”, we still want to prevent severe issues from happening. Even when it’s unexpected behavior :smile: If you remember much from this incident, it’d help to know:

• what dataset(s) you were viewing
  • if this crash happened in the Editor, or in a packaged game
  • some metric of where you were, if possible. e.g., were you flying around the Earth from space? Or were you viewing high-detailed datasets close to ground? (From there we can try to recreate the fast camera movement.)
  • what you mean by “free look camera”? Is this a different camera setup from the DynamicPawn that comes with the plugin?

Definitely let us know if you see this crash again. Thank you!

Really not worried about it myself but here are some answers from memory

• what dataset(s) you were viewing
    This was a packaged simulation of the project I’m working on. It was using bing as the source for the quantized mesh tiles.

• if this crash happened in the Editor, or in a packaged game
    Packaged.

• some metric of where you were, if possible. e.g., were you flying around the Earth from space? Or were you viewing high-detailed datasets close to ground? (From there we can try to recreate the fast camera movement.)
    I don’t recall precisely. In short, this project takes in data from our simulation and places objects around the earth where the simulation dictates they are. The objects consist of stationary things and jets. In the case there are no pawns to view from there is always the “hangar” camera.

I think it was the hangar camera which is on the corner of one of the white fake buildings from the OSM buildings component. As such, it is fairly close to the ground. The simulated aircraft were off over the gulf coast (we are doing this in florida). I spun the mouse pretty fast to see where one of the airplanes was from the hangar viewpoint and got a windows crash. Didn’t pay a lot of attention as I chalked it up to the cobbled computer. It wasn’t the grey box that unreal gives as a crash report.
If I see it again, I’ll try to remember to let you all know. Nobody experienced this on any other computer as a packaged product and it never happened to me on the editor. That is just a set of 3 computers, though. My own test computer is pretty beefy.

All pawns have a free camera. That is you can swivel and look around. The pawns themselves are not directly derived from DynamicPawn but have the same components, the world anchor and origin shift component.

In this instance, I was not moving (if indeed I am recalling correctly and it as the hangar camera) just turned the camera to look south over the gulf coast. The aircraft are constantly (at a rate of 0.1 s) being moved about from the incoming data. The hangar camera, of course, doesn’t move other than rotating.

• what you mean by “free look camera”? Is this a different camera setup from the DynamicPawn that comes with the plugin?
    It is just a camera that I have attached to the pawn that allows for mouse look in any direction. Limited up and down as if you look all the way down it gimble locks. So not the Dynamic Pawn one but very similar.