How to load maps offline

Hi Kevin.
I’m running into the same imagery streaming issue as others in this thread, so it’s great to hear there are offline tiler options. Where can I find a tutorial on those? Also, does this require setting up a local tile server, or can Cesium take care of that?

@ChrisDisguise if you would like Cesium to manage the hosting and streaming of your imagery, Cesium ion is the tool for the job. If you need to process data offline and host it yourself (or include it in a local installation), Cesium also offers offline tilers, which you can learn about here:

When using those, you will need to host the data yourself.

Cesium’s formats are all open standards, so there are also third-party options of various levels of quality. I can’t provide support for those, though.

Kevin

1 Like

@Kevin_Ring,
Thank you for your replies to all of the users. I too am in a situation where I need to have data hosted entirely on severs locally due to the sensitivity. Do you have any documentation that you can point me to regarding the Cesium On-Premise setup and configuration and bringing that data into Unreal Engine? I should mention that we will be importing terrain data, imagery, and photogrammetry assets.

There will be instances where we can be connect to the internet to stream in Bing Maps, but we will still need to keep our photogrammetry assets hosted locally, while still streaming them into Unreal Engine. Would something like this be possible?

Ideally, we would have all of the files steaming from the computer the visualization are being rendered on.

Any information you could provide would be greatly appreciate.

Hi @FrancisCheck,

That is certainly possible. The main part of the on-premise setup is a family of command-line tools that are used to process raw terrain, imagery, and 3D models (like photogrammetry) into streamable, level-of-detail-aware formats. You can then host the output however you see fit. And from there, bringing it into Unreal Engine using the Cesium for Unreal plugin is trivial: create a Cesium3DTileset Actor (for terrain and photogrammetry) or a raster overlay component (for imagery) and give it the URL where you’ve hosted it. It’s even possible to use file:// URLs to load the data directly from the local disk rather than involving a web server.

If that sounds like what you’re after, you can contact our sales team: Contact – Cesium

Kevin

Hi
We created a flight simulator built with Cesium and Unreal 4.
We’ve been asked to have it work offline on a standalone machine.
could you please guide us how can we load an offline map to Cesium for Unreal?
kindly ask for your help - this ability is very important for us.

Hi @Kevin_Ring ,

I was experimenting with my own offline data and Cesium for Unreal. Does the file:// style URL work with both terrain and imagery?

Many thanks in advance.

file:/// URLs only work on Windows, due to a limitation in Unreal’s embedded version of libcurl. But other than that, yes, it should be possible to load both terrain and imagery from file URLs.

@Kevin_Ring ,

To perform raster overlays with the images, should it work with a layer.json on the source data tree just like with terrain?

Sorry, I don’t think I understand the question.

I want to download a set of specific tiles so I can merge them into a mesh and convert them to terrain. I see a lot of people ask for terrain editing on the tiles, but if I can manage to copy a set of tiles to become an Unreal landscape, that would be sufficient.

1 Like

Has anyone been able to download a portion of the map for offline use in a level. This would make this a huge tool for cinematics

1 Like

it’s just in the details->Cesium->Url , either from cesium ion or from url

Hi,

There is an offline terrain solution here https://portal.terrainserver.com

And here is the link that shows Unreal Integration as well

Hope it helps