Orientation of the globe aware pawn

Hello @mahalobay ,

I feel like this issue is particular to a bug in GlobeAwareDefaultPawn (by extension this affects the FloatingPawn as well). However, the Y-down vs Earth-down may still be an annoying discrepancy for many other situations as well.

Your idea of keeping the player still while moving the world is exactly along the lines of the design principles we used for our georeferencing system. I know you saw this answer @mahalobay but for anyone else that may stumble on this, here is a longer discussion with more background and links.

Your specific idea however should still be somewhat possible! Here are a rough set of steps that may need to be involved:

• Keep your player within a relatively small region (say 100x100km). The georeference origin should be set to the center of this region.
  • When the player reaches the end of the region, set the georeference origin to be where the player is. The new region to check should be centered exactly on the georeference.
  • Remember to have all your objects including the player be properly georeferenced so that they “survive” the georeference change.
  • The CesiumSunSky will “survive” the change as well as long as it is georeferenced too.

Since the player will then always be within ~100km of the georeference origin, the up-direction should be very close to correct. If you keep the player completely still and constantly move the georeference, it will likely lead to significant lag, so I think this moving grid approach is much more feasible.

1 Like