Saving google map data

In the comment section of this cesium prototype video, the dev mentioned that it was possible to save the map data so an internet connection isn’t required.

In this thread it was mentioned that doing so may violate googles terms of service

Has anyone followed this up with google to check? I certainly would want to confirm firsthand myself prior to trying to implement a feature like that. But it would be good to have a preliminary idea form the community whether there is any allowances made by google for caching or offline download of their map? Since internet access isn’t always available for end users.

I imagine someone here has likely gotten into contact or had some involved contact with google, if you could share your experience it would be much appreciated!

Hi @MQS,

The current Google Maps Platform Terms of Service forbid this. See Section 3.2.3:

3.2.3 Restrictions Against Misusing the Services.

(a) No Scraping. Customer will not export, extract, or otherwise scrape Google Maps Content for use outside the Services. For example, Customer will not: (i) pre-fetch, index, store, reshare, or rehost Google Maps Content outside the services; (ii) bulk download Google Maps tiles, Street View images, geocodes, directions, distance matrix results, roads information, places information, elevation values, and time zone details; (iii) copy and save business names, addresses, or user reviews; or (iv) use Google Maps Content with text-to-speech services.

We’re aware that people would like to use Google Photorealistic 3D Tiles offline, but that’s a request you’d have to ask of Google. You can reach out directly to the Google Maps Platform support team here. In the meantime, let us know if there’s anything we can help with for streaming Photorealistic 3D Tiles online in Cesium for Unreal. :smile:

1 Like

Also, I can’t find the comment on the Youtube video that says Photorealistic 3D Tiles can be downloaded for offline use, but that’s definitely incorrect. :slight_smile:

1 Like

It was on elf the comments left on the video id linked that the original video poster responded to regarding the size and vertices, as shown in the screenshot.
But I appreciate the clarification, I had a feeling this would be the consensus :slight_smile: