Unable to see uploaded Cesium Ion tileset from Lidar data

I have been able to upload user-created Cesium ion 3d tilesets (from .las) to the Unreal 5 engine. However, I am unable to see the Lidar point cloud. is this an issue with the graphic settings or the current integration and rendering abilities in Unreal with Cesium? Any and all solutions or suggestions are appreciated.

Hello @jgustafsonNUAIR,

We do not currently have support for point clouds in Cesium for Unreal (it is however supported in CesiumJS, if that fits your use-case). You may also want to consider converting the point clouds into photogrammetry meshes before uploading to Cesium Ion. We have an open issue for supporting point clouds in Cesium for Unreal / Cesium Native here: Support pnts tile payloads · Issue #670 · CesiumGS/cesium-unreal · GitHub. We have tentative plans to circle back around to implementing support for point clouds sometime in the next 6-8 months.

-Nithin

How would I convert to photogrammetry meshes?

I think there should be plenty of tools out there for the job, even free ones. For example this one that I found from a quick google search: MeshLab: Point Cloud to Mesh – Design Support (I haven’t tried it and am not endorsing it in particular, just showing it as an example).

Point cloud to mesh conversion is to the “left” of us in the pipeline, so we don’t have an in-house solution for it.

Thanks for the example and your earlier help. I’ll see what I can do on my end.

Hi @jgustafsonNUAIR,

Point cloud support was recently merged with main. Feel free to try it out and let us know if your point cloud renders correctly.