Are point clouds supported?

I’m trying out Cesium for Unreal, and loving the slickness so far! The problem I’m having is that we have a number of point cloud tilesets that I’d like to view, but when I create a blank tileset and put in the URL it successfully loads the tileset.json file but then I get

LogCesium: Warning: [2021-03-31 11:58:43.878] [warning] [TileContentFactory.cpp:74] No loader registered for tile with content type 'application/octet-stream' and magic value 'pnts'.

Is there a list of supported content-types and magic values?

To answer the second part of my post, the list is here in the Cesium Native code: cesium-native/registerAllTileContentTypes.cpp at b824699d3dd9503a5943007247f683b6adc132d4 · CesiumGS/cesium-native · GitHub

And my suspicions are confirmed, no point clouds. :frowning:

Hi @John_Donovan

For the initial release we focused on meshes, but we definitely have 3D Tiles Point Clouds on the roadmap. Point Clouds are an important part of geospatial data and we are looking forward to adding support.

We have this issue for Non-B3DM tiles Support non-glTF, non-b3dm tile payloads · Issue #12 · CesiumGS/cesium-unreal · GitHub. I would definitely recommend chiming in on that so that we can track community feedback.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Shehzan Mohammed

Thanks for replying so swiftly Shehzan, it’s a feature we’re really interested in and we might be in a position to offer our help, once we have discussed it internally.

-John

1 Like

Hi, @Shehzan_Mohammed

Have any improvements been made to support point clouds in Cesium for Unreal? It appears my point cloud works fine in Cesium ion but doesn’t load in Unreal Engine 4. Do you know why this is?

Thanks,
Brandon

Hello @brandondsantos,

Some progress has been made on experimental point cloud support, but it’s not ready to merge into the main plugin. If you’d like to check it out and see if works for your data, you can see the in-progress work here.

I don’t currently have an estimate of when it will be ready for release.

-Alex

Hi @John_Donovan and @brandondsantos,

Point cloud support was recently merged with main. Feel free to try it out and give us feedback before it’s shipped in the next release!