Clipping Plane - Rendering problems - Artefacts

Hi,

I have a question according rendering - does anyone have problems with rendering a quantized mesh as terrain. Recently I get small black lines at the boundary of tiles - see in the screenshot, but I don’t know the reasons.

As I use the aerial image also in other context,therfore I think that the problem is the terrain. For me it is curious that I have the black lines at the boundary of the tiles.

Can anyone help ?

Rüdiger

I have made a sandcastle: the artefacts are caused by clipping Plane

Is this usage of the clipping plane correct ?

Rüdiger

1 Like

@Ruediger_Brand

Thank you for sharing this question with the community. I also appreciate that you included a sandcastle demo that showcases the error. I was able to reproduce the error on my device.

I wonder if this is a data-related error - does this seem feasible to you? If so, could you please share some more information about the dataset that you are using. If you are using Cesium ion, it would be helpful if you shared the asset ID number as well. Out of curiosity, have you tried rendering other quantized mesh files as terrain and seen similar issues?

I am looking forward to learning more about this issue. Please keep me posted with any updates!

-Sam

@sam.rothstein
Hi Sam,

after the reproduction with the sandcastle it is not a data related error for me, because I see the artefacts also with the default Cesium World terrain and the bing Maps. You can change the imagery provider to others, like osm and aslo in the natural earth example (see screenshot), you will see the artefacts.

If you skip the part with the clipping plane in the sandcastle, the rendering is ok. So for me it is a problem with the clipping plane and the rendering, but perhaps an option is wrong, but I looked at the terrain cliping planes example.

Rüdiger

@sam.rothstein

any news ?

Rüdiger

@Ruediger_Brand

Thank you for the new information! I shared this thread with the rest of our development team. I will keep you posted when there are updates :grinning:

-Sam

@Ruediger_Brand

This bug is not necessarily related to clipping planes. If you remove the line of code that set the clipping planes, we still see the black lines. Setting globe.showSkirts = true; should resolve your issue. Skirts are intentionally there to hide seam artifacts. In our clipping planes demo, we turn them off for a better visual effect.

Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns!

-Sam

@sam.rothstein

Perfect - thank you very much !

1 Like

@Ruediger_Brand

You are welcome! I am glad that we could help out :grinning:

-Sam