Raster tree cover data

Hello,
I have some raster images of tree cover which I’m streaming into unreal engine using ion. I’m wondering if there’s anyway to access the data of this layer within unreal engine so I’m able to spawn in trees. If not, do you know of any way to make 3D tiles using this data?

Thank you.

Hi @JevUG,

I’ve made this post public so others can chime in if they have suggestions. I’m not sure if this is possible currently but we are looking in to it.

Hello,
I have tree cover data, which I am streaming using Ion as an raster overlay. Is there way to use this data to spawn trees. If not, is there any known way to use this data to make a 3d tileset of trees?

Thank you.

Hi @JevUG,

This should be doable with a solution similar to the procedural foliage tutorial, though you’d have to make some changes.
You would probably want to use C++ to access the tileset’s raster overlay texture and feed that into the niagara system, which would remove the need for the classification system from the tutorial.

There’s nothing out of the box that can enable this, though. If you do choose to work on implementing a solution for this, please consider sharing it back to the plugin!

-Alex

Hello,
Thank you for the response. Where can I access the tilsets raster overlay? Thank you.